By Justina Okpanku
Effective March 21, 2020, flight from China, Iran, United States of America, UK , South Korea, Germany, Italy, Norway, The Netherlands, France, Spain, Switzerland and so on can no longer land in Nigeria over Coronavirus that has killed thousands around the world. Also, Nigeria cannot issue visas to travellers on arrival as before.
Following pressure from citizens including lawmakers who urged the Federal Government to review its strategy in solving the unprecedented health challenge, Nigeria has therefore announced that it has created a special task force to handle the crisis. They came up with travel restrictions against 13 countries with over 1000 cases of coronavirus entry to Nigeria, Tuesday.
FULL STATEMENT BY THE CHAIRMAN PRESIDENTIAL TASK FORCE PTF ON COVlD-19 0N MEASURES BEING TAKEN BY NIGERIA TO CONTAIN AND MANAGETHE PANDEMIC
Gentlemen of the Press,
- You will recall that yesterday Tuesday, March 17, 2020 the Presidential Task Force on COVlD-19 set up by Mr. President was inaugurated and held its first briefing.
- You will also recall that the PTF at the end of the meeting announced the ban on all forms of travels by public officers and civil servants until further notice,
- This morning, we have found it necessary to brief Nigerians on further measures being taken after an assessment of the global situation. They are as follows:
- The Federal Government of Nigeria is restricting entry into the country for travellers from the following thirteen (13) countries; China, Italy, Iran, South Korea, Spain, Japan, France, Germany, Norway, the United States of America, the United Kingdom, Netherlands and Switzerland. These are all countries with over 1,000 case domestically;
- All persons arriving in Nigeria who might have visited these countries, 0fteen days prior to such arrival, will be subjected to supervised self-isolation and testing for 14 days;
iii. The Federal Government is temporarily suspending the issuance of all visas on arrival;
- The Federal Government is also counseling all Nigerians to cancel or postpone all non-essential travels to these countries; and
- The Federal Government urges Public Health Authorities of countries with high burden to conduct diligent departure screening of passengers and also endorses this travel advisories to their nationals to postpone travels to Nigeria.
- These restrictions will come into effect from Saturday, March, 21, 2020 for four (4) weeks subject to review.
- Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org